The Boxborough Minutemen Company
The Boxborough District Minutemen Company was founded in 1967 for the purpose of perpetuating the memory of the Minutemen of 1775 and to serve the community. Qualified community members are encouraged to join the organization and take part in our activities, which include:
- Participating in historical commemorative events, such as the annual reenactment of the April 19, 1775 Minutemen march to the Battle of Concord.
- Organizing community fund raising and social events, such as the Fifer’s Day Festival that provides a large portion of the funds used to support our community service activities.
- Providing support for local schools through donations of time and funds for educational activities and scholarships.
- Sponsoring community organizations such as the Boy Scouts and providing financial donations to a variety of community projects.
- Performing community service activities such as Adopt-A-Highway.
- Participating in local celebratory events such as parades and civic dedications.
The company participated in its first "Isaac Davis Trail" march on April 19, 1967, and has marched the trail each year since that date. In addition the company has participated in the 200th anniversary re-enactment of the Boston Massacre, the Bunker Hill Battle Re-Enactment, Concord and Lexington parades, Fourth of July observances in the Town of Burlington, Harvard, Needham and Bolton, the Bedford Liberty Pole parade, Crown Resistance Day in Acton, and many other events in surrounding towns.
Meetings are held once a month on the third Sunday at 8:00 p.m. at the firehouse except during July and August, and the company participates in town events on Memorial Day, Luther Blanchard Day and the annual Fifers' Festival.
The Company also sponsors the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Acton Food Pantry and other local organizations. Other activities include the Flag Day at Blanchard School, Fifers' Day and Maine Family Camping.
Also, The Boxborough Minutemen Company offers every year 2 Scholarships to Boxborough students at the Acton/Boxborough High School.